Thursday, November 11, 2010

Parting IS Such Sweet Sorrow.....

... and this has been twenty four hours of just that.  Goodbyes, to Mara and Bonnie, my neighbours and fellow gardeners, to those from my stitching chums, the Plainwell Pretties and the Bronson Babes.  How's that for great names, girls? Last night at Stitching Bits and Bobs, Bobbi and Cam surprised me with some treats pictured below

Dinky Dyes Silk - Bobbie's Blossoms
Kelmscott Needle Minder
Corner Gauge
Sylvester Seahorse Scissors
Purple Hippo Button
 Thank you so much, both of you!  I have enjoyed the stitching and shopping on Wednesday nights over the past year with the Plainwell Pretties, lol.  I'm looking forward to more of the same fun (well, the shopping at least) online!

Perhaps the purple hippo button requires a bit of explanation.......  Bobbi, Carolyn and I have been stitching Plum Street Sampler's Olga and apparently Bobbi has been trying to persuade Paulette to design a hippo to go with Olga and Boris - Henrietta, Hermione?

Today I had to say good bye to the Bronson Babes, these are ladies from EGA and elsewhere, who gather together in different locations on a Thursday to eat, stitch and chat.  One of the locations is in our local hospital, Bronson, where we are kindly allocated a room by Julie, the volunteer co-ordinator there, sorry I couldn't let my basket go, Julie!

Both groups, along with the Mattawan Gardening Club and EGA and all the friendly ladies there too, have been a lifeline for me over the past year.  Moving into the woods in November is not the best time and knowing I had somewhere to go on specific days gave me something to which to look forward each week.

Another lovely surprise that came my way last week was this beautiful bag

Poppy Stitching Bag
Designed and Sewn by Sue Hill
in Kalamazoo, Michigan
Isn't it gorgeous?  Sue, another of the Thursday stitchers, so generously asked me to come and choose a bag to take on my travels and I chose this one.  Outside and inside pockets and a zipped pouch for all the bits and pieces that one HAS to have! Thank you again, Sue!

On the way home from stitching I stopped at the store to pick up dinner, and the cashier, as often happens, asked where I was from, he's visited a lot of the UK, including Ipswich where he has family and much to my surprise, he'd acted in one of the Fringe productions in Edinburgh!

Julie asked me today what I'm going to miss about the States and I said the "can do" attitude here, if life hands you lemons make lemonade kind of thing!  Another thing I'll miss is chatting with people (like the young man above) when they hear my accent and ask where I am from, I've had some great conversations that way!  Mention was made of American bacon as something I might NOT miss, lol, but that's enough of that!

On the other hand, I'll be glad to be closer to family, long-standing friends in the UK and , of course, my mates in the Friendly Stitchers' group, oh, and British bacon, lol!

Hmm, it seems like I must have given you some clues to what we might be doing........?  Yup, moving back to England after 22 years in the good ol' US of A.  The WT was hardly in the job here for five minutes, well, maybe ten, when they mentioned that they'd really like us to move to the UK for another job with the company.  You know me, global nomad and serial mover all my life, so we said yes and we leave tomorrow!  Well, we go first to Pittsburgh to see the precious girl treasures and the Liam treasure then I backtrack to Idaho to see the boy treasure and my sweet daughter in law and the William treasure.  I'll be in England in a week!

I suppose I'll have to think of another name for my blog.......:)

Thank you to all who post comments, I love receiving them from friends and new friends so, please don't stop!  I'm glad the new font is pleasing to the eye!

Talk to you all soon!

26 comments:

  1. Goodluck with the move and everything, Gillie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOO fancy you missing bacon ..lol can't wait to get you back over here again ... we shall have to set up stitching afternoons over here for you, as would hate for you to miss them. see you in a couple of weeks :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm lovely Ayrshire bacon with lashings of HP sauce - ye cannae beat it! Can't wait to have you over here and see you at Harrogate in 2 weeks time!!!!! Hugs, Ally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you sound so up and so very brave! I'm sure you're anxious to be back "home" but after 22 years, isn't it difficult? I guess I'm just not good at change. Best Wishes to you...I will be following you and your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels. Looking forward to hearing of your tale from "home".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely gifts you received.

    Good luck with your move. England gain is our loss. But this thing called the internet will keep you close to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you are so excited Gillie! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Move next to a pond and you won't have to change the name at all! Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Online will keep us all together. Have a safe trip and Enjoy moving back home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with your move, Gillie--I'm sure you're very excited to be going "home!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a safe trip back to the UK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, what a change in your life. But there are always two sides in every move - things that you lose and things that you win. I wish you all the best of luck, and enjoy your lovely farewell gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the move! Where in the UK will you be?

    You asked for my hemstitch tutorial but I do not have an email address for you. You can find my email address on my profile so email me and the tutorial will be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Gillie! So very happy for you...but sad for me. I've only just met you!

    Thanks for spending time with me on the Shop Hop....I will always remember you when I go to Tecumseh now. You made the journey special.

    God bless you and keep you safe in your travels. I hope to meet up again with you someday -- if you ever travel through San francisco, please look me up!

    Fondly,

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always seem to visit the wrong blog, you do have a few!!!

    Well, I'll certainly have a cake made for you to try when you visit me. It will be strange for you back here in the UK after all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's my email address Gillie
    g.finch2@ntlworld.com

    Be sure and get in touch won't you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry, Gillie, I have been out of commission for a few days and didn't see your post until today. Hopefully we'll see one another again on one of your trips to see your "treasure" here in Washington. I've been praying for your new home, that you find good friends and happiness there and that you don't forget your friends on this side of the pond. God Speed, Gillie! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well you are not far from the Mersey Estuary here, so maybe we can class that as a rather large pond??
    Looking forward to seeing you in 10 days!!
    Safe travels Gillie, and those gifts are so lovely, you have made some wonderful friends over there, more friends are waiting here for you as well!
    Bring on the Bacon Butties!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah-that last comment about YOU being Mrs.W.T was more right than I knew! I'm sure you will be happy to be closer to family, but that you and your American friends will surely miss seeing each other eye-to-eye. The blog name will be correct now - at least for us :-).
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for visiting my blog! And good luck in a "new" place!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I wish I'd got to know you! I currently live in Kalamazoo but am originally from Ipswich, England. I'm so jealous you're back home in time for the holidays. It's one of the hardest time of the year for me. I miss my family so much.

    Take care
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Gillie

    Yes please do join us, if you send me your email I can send you an invite so you can post on the quaker blog..

    Chris x
    chs22hk@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gillie, had no idea you were so close! If you are ever in Chester get in touch!! Would love to meet up! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Gillie, so glad that I have found your blog - I have missed checking in on you.

    How exciting that you will be back home and hopefully WT will be home more often.

    Read your blog all the way back to the summer. You have some wonderful friends that you will be leaving behind, but wonderful memories and pressies to help remember.

    Take care and enjoy your next adventure and new life.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!