Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Amaze Myself ~ Sometimes!


JBW Designs ~ Bonjour
Just over a week after the end of the beginning of the Challenge - I have a finish!  As you know, I was late reaching the finish of the starts (does  any of that make sense?) but six days later, voila, JBW's Bonjour!  I had a small change around of  the blues to show up better on the medium blue fabric, and substituted one of the pinks, I just wasn't satisfied with my stitching using that particular one.

I began this at the Mouse House on Wednesday and any sharp eyes out there might notice that it was a re-start as I had begun far too close to the edge, the frugal Scot in me always trying to save fabric.  I'm not sure what I'm going to  do with this, definitely not an apron as suggested by the designer, since I am far too hard on those and grease marks would not be a *good thing*!

I had two visits to chez Mouse this week ~ why, I can hear you cry?  Has the woman not suffered enough putting up with you once, that you have to repeat the process?  Well, being a well brought up lady, I offered, as you do, to wash up after supper on Wednesday evening and took off my rings and laid them on the kitchen counter.  We dispatched the washing up in quick order, I collected all my bits and pieces, bid my hostess a fond farewell and made it back to Cheshire in good time.  Went to send a text to say I had arrived and there was one from Mouse - the rings.....still on the kitchen counter!  Well, drat!   To cut a long story short, despite a week of popping back and forth to France, the WT graciously agreed to accompany me to Yorkshire to pick up the recalcitrant jewels.  So, on Saturday, after some strenuous exercise at an impossibly early hour (more on that later) we set off.  I'd suggested to Mouse and her beloved that, as a small return for disturbing their Saturday, we would  take them out for a pub lunch and my goodness, they chose a nice one, the Strafford Arms, roaring log fire and great food.  Despite Peter not having met either of them before we all got on like a house on fire and have promised ourselves a return visit to some lovely gardens nearby.  I was glad to have my rings back, I must say, there was a gleam in the eye of the Mouse, I could see she was reckoning up how much stash could be got by flogging them!

Strenuous exercise, hmm, not something that has often been mentioned in these pages!  I saw an advertisement for Nordic Walking in our local paper shop so I borrowed a pen and wrote down all the details.  A phone call later and I had arranged with a very nice-sounding woman called Kerley to try a taster session.  Three of us arrived in the Delamere Forest and after some warm up movements we were off!  It's a whole different way of walking but you certainly cover a lot more ground using the poles.  I enjoyed it so much I persuaded the WT to try a session too, and of course, wouldn't you know it, after about five minutes, Kerley is calling him a "natural", quite sickening, don't you think?  We signed up for a course, blithely ignoring the fact that we had agreed to be in the Forest at 8 am on a Saturday morning, and a grey one it was too.  If I'd been able to lay my hands on Kerley's phone number I might well have chickened out but I have to say I am so glad I didn't.  I spent most of the time at the back of the group and "the natural" set the pace at the front.  When people got too far ahead they circled back (thereby increasing their steps!) and for a brief moment I was the leader of the pack! 

A few more photographs to end with.  We had an ornament exchange just before Christmas on Friendly Stitchers and I was partnered with Julie over in Oz.  This is what I stitched for her.  It's from Little House Needleworks and it was first published in the 2004 JCS ornament issue.


She and I have rather the same tastes and I felt that she she was enjoying a warm summer it was only right that she should experience a LITTLE snow albeit only via an ornament!

I opened her parcel in January since I had gone to Michigan when it arrived so Christmas was extended!  It's beautifully stitched and finished and will definitely be on the tree this year!


Not the best of back grounds looking out into the car park of our apartment building!  I am a little short of elegant places for a photography shoot right now with no garden.

Well, dears, enough of this, I need to get back to Fifteen/Two!  What will our intrepid stitcher choose next?  Blackbird, Brightneedle........tune in again and find out!  As always, I LOVE comments and read and enjoy every one!



18 comments:

  1. Really impressed with the stitching , company of WT and you and the food as well ... shame I had to relinquish those lovely rings ..lol . can't wait to visit your end and for you to come back her too xxx love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an adorable design and finish Gillie...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice finish! Good plan that..leaving your rings so you got to trip there again..lol
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhuh and you didn't plan it at all did you Gillie roflmao!!! Probably just as well you went back to rescue them though ... I wonder if Kate at Sparklies would swap fabric for diamonds? I'm sure we'll find out one of these days lol! Lovely stitching petal - and once again I am beaten to the punch! Hugs, Ally xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a Crazy finish already! You are to be commended on your focus. I love your ring-collecting adventure. Now I want to go sit by a fire and have, oh maybe shepherds pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful exchange gifts.
    Ive heard a lot about Nordic walking, sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice stitching. I commend you on venturing into the challenge. I wasn't quite brave enough. Nordic walking sounds interesting. I'm a big walker myself so would probably love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your trip to the Mouse house was fun! It's good when the "guys" get along as well, sounds like more trips will be planned in the future!! Your ornaments (both of them!!) are lovely! If only I could learn to finish so nicely, any chance you would give lessons? Nordic walking sounds like fun, hopefully more outings will be planned? Great stitching as always, Gillie, can't wait to see what you'll do with your finished piece. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely finish on your JBWs Bonjour. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Mouse...and good job you didn't leave your rings near to Harrogate time LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, Gillie, how nice to both the ornie I received and the ornie I made on your blog!!

    I am keeping your ornie out all year , its hanging nicely where I can see it while I am on the computer and where I stitch. Its really lovely seeing and receiving things people have made so nicely as I don't have a stitching group.

    Nordic walking, wow, I am impressed

    cheers
    Julie in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely colourful little finish.

    Well done on the Nordic walking, i watched someone trying it on the TV a few weeks back and she commented on what a work out it was for the whole body!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you are back in the UK? I haven't kept up with blogs or blogging this month. Hope you are settling in ok, looks like you are getting out and about anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Gillie,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your very kind comment. You have selected some beautiful designs for your challenge and your exchange given and recieved are both beautiful.
    Thanks again dear.
    Hugs.
    Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gillie...thanks for visiting my blog. So cool to know yinz know about the 'Burgh and our beloved "Stillers"! Comin' back to visit you...you'll be in my google reader list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gillie...thanks for visiting my blog. So cool to know yinz guys know about the "burgh" and our beloved "Stillers"! Putting you on my google reader list, so to coin a phrase...I'LL BE BACK! (lovely stitching by the way!) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely stitching and ornies! Love that LHN one. I haven't got that mag. Although I have from 2005 up and have recently been browsing them and making lists of all the ones I want to do. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Gillie. I enjoyed reading your post and all the exchanges; but I had to chuckle about the exercise paragraphs. I am an early riser also, taking in the mornings fresh air while out exercising. Never the less, I somehow find something abnormal about being out so early exercising. LOL. I am told that this will be good for me at the end of each session. LOL. I tend to disagree some days as I am dragging my aching hip and ankle afterewards. LOL.
    Anywho. Thanks for stopping by my blogy dear. I appreicate you.
    Hugs.
    Jackie.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!