Monday, May 9, 2011

Walks, fobs, friends.....

How could I have let most of April go by without posting again?  Kept meaning to, kept thinking of witty and brilliant things to share with you all and kept letting the days go by, quite useless I am!  In the past year with no job and no fixed place to be each day, I've found it's very easy to let the hours slip by...... despite having two moves, one of them international, in fifteen months!

The house is beginning to look fairly respectable and most of the boxes have been recycled or given away to another mover.  The weather up here in the north west has been quite amazing and we feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful re-introduction to English springtime in the Weaver valley.  The small town where we live has a Festival of Walks at the end of April each year so wanting to get to know the area a little better, and maybe make some new friends, I decided to take part in a couple of them.  We began on Easter Day with a bang, and puffed our way up Helsby Hill to a glorious view over the marshes towards Liverpool and the Clywd Hills with a bump in the background that could possibly have been Snowdon.  It was an unusually clear day, often the haze prevents such a long view, and to this Midwestern girl (well, for the past ten years!) it was just glorious.  I did a couple more without the WT and found some new friends and some new footpaths, can't be bad!

Across the marshes from Helsby Hill

An eco-house, most of it below the grass but spoiled,
somewhat, in my view,by the helipad behind
 the building, increasing the eco footprint mightily!

The WT, looking, in his view, "gormless", but not true at all!

HIS drink of choice at the end of the walk

And HERS.... complete with chocolate nest and egg!
As to stitching, well, not a whole lot to report.  I finished but, of course, didn't remember to photograph, the stitching fob I sent to Denise, a friend in Saudi Arabia, who right now is in the Midlands and maybe we will get to meet!

See what I mean?  I began this post on May 1st and it is now May 9th for crying out loud!  Since then I have received a most gorgeous fob and scissor keep (an unexpected treat) from Denise, in the most gorgous dusty purple and Hardanger too, lucky me!  Thank you so much, Denise, looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!



This was an exchange on the Friendly_Stitchers group, the rules were to make a scissor fob for your partner with her initial on it, attach a pair of scissors and send off with a couple of postcards of the area where you live....hmm, guess which bit Dimwit forgot to fulfil, mmhmm, the postcards!  I got gorgeous ones from Saudi AND Hastings as Denise is having a bit of an Away Month, lol!

This was mine to her, my first attempt at a beaded fob........




I chose to stitch the cup on the back because Denise had mentioned a couple of months ago that she wished she had been able to be with Mouse and me drinking tea, one day when I was visiting Yorkshire!  Here's to our cuppa tomorrow, Denise!

What else is going on in the home of the World Traveller?  Well, he's not here, Kzoo and Chicago this week, Taiwan next week!  Not a whole lot of stitching but I did stitch a pincushion for someone, need to get it together and mailed.  I really thought I'd get at least one of the 15 completed but no such luck.  Maybe by the end of the week.....?

THE Wedding was lovely, everyone looked gorgeous and fingers crossed they will enjoy a long and happy life together.  Talking of a long and happy life, Mr and Mrs WT will celebrate forty (I know, I just don't look old enough) years together next month so maybe time for a giveaway then.  Stay tuned!

Crazy weather this month, lots of sudden downpours and storms interspersed with lovely sunshine, you get the feeling that the Weather Workers confused April and May!

Thank you to everyone that left a comment/emailed me, I appreciate each and every one of you.  As always, if you stop by, please leave a comment, don't just creep away!

16 comments:

  1. The photos from your walk are breathtaking! One of my "bucket list" places to visit, unfortunately, the Hubs thinks driving two hours is enough travel for him...
    Love your beaded scissor fob. I'd never have known it was your first if you hadn't mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gillie :) ooo lovely views there girl :) the fobs are gorgeous and I didn't know you hadn't done one before :) looking forward to tomorrow hope it doesn't rain on the parade hehehe .... and 40 years nope don't look old enough at all :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics and nice post Gillie - 45 years for me and Bill this October ! ... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely views and stitching :-)

    Glad your re-introduction back to the UK started with some good weather, we are having downpours here too at the moment, one minute lovely sunshine the next the heavens open to give us a drenching! Oh, good for the garden at least :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures of your walk, Gillie! I hope you made some fast friends on your walk! Lovely fob too, the stitching and the finishing! You are a talented lady! It's good to see you posting again, I wondered where you'd wandered off to...*grin* now I know you are out enjoying the sunshine! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous :D Hope you have a lovely day catching up with stitching friends. Beautiful photos, and your finishes are divine.
    LiBBiE in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos Gillie, glad you've enjoyed the walks they're so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos of your walk! Everything looks so pretty. The weather has been lovely on this side of the Irish Sea, too, which is nice. Lovely exchange pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning views of your walk

    Typical man to choose a pint after the walk, i'd have had the tea with you but i might just have eaten your cake too, i am rather patrial to those little choccie nests ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely scenery dear, and WT looks as though he deserved his pint lol! I would have gone for the tea too though. Hope you occasionally take a walk round the corner and say hello to my horsey friends! Hugs, Ally xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely update Gillie - your fobs both sent and received are gorgeous. Great views from your walk - I might have gone for the pint - but only as I'm not a tea drinker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos Gillie. I'd have gone for the tea too :)

    Lovely fobs both sent and received.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your scissor fob exchange, exquisite work. I will follow the WT reports with interest. BTW I also love your name as it was my dear mother's maiden name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are enjoying your new area and making friends.

    I'm struggling to blog just lately, think that fab weather had something to do with it. Pity it's reverted back to normal though, today is rainy, window and dark!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh I love those fobs. The beaded one is really pretty. Great job. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet your stiching...
    Lovely photos!

    Hugs from Spain,

    eljardindemiduende ^^

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!