Monday, October 31, 2011

Istanbul and not a Stitch in Sight!

Good grief, it's the last day of October and a month since the last post!  So what has been happening at the barn?  Well, I got to go somewhere I'd always wanted to visit - Istanbul!  Who am I kidding?  There isn't anywhere I don't want to visit!

Every type and flavour of Baklava!

This dragon boat is the "kitchen" where they grill the
most delicious fish sandwiches which are then handed
very precariously to the servers on the Eminonu waterfront
just down from the Galata bridge.  Strong stomachs are needed by
 the chefs as these little boats can rock quite violently in the wake of
 the frequent ferries that pass up and down the Bosphorus!
Istiklal Caddesi, the main pedestrian thoroughfare. definitely
the place to be on a Saturday night.  At the end of the
street is the Tunel, a funicular built by the French in 1874,
making it slightly younger than the London Underground
A backgammon bower!

Looking towards Asia going under the Bosphorus bridge

Sultan Ahmet Camii (the Blue Mosque)
 commissioned by a nineteen year old!
Sponges, soaps and soothing lotions

I wanted to buy every one of these pashminas!
The Egyptian or Spice Bazaar
Just looking at the pictures and checking names in my guidebook makes me want to run to the airport and get on the next Turkish Airlines flight!  I didn't see everything but left plenty for the next visit.  Talking of Turkish airlines, they could teach American Airlines a thing or two about airline food!  It was delicious, tasty and spicy, are you taking notes, AA?
Thank you for reading this far on what appears to be a travel blog with not a stitch in sight!  It's late and I am tired so I'll save the stitching for another day.  I enjoy comments or emails so much so don't steal away without telling me you were here and a cheery wave to all my new followers, thank you!

24 comments:

  1. ooo those soaps n lotions look lovely and the pashminas are beautiful too :) glad you had a great time :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Turkish Airlines and AA are in the air - unlike the recent debacle of a certain Aussie airline :/
    Mmmm the baklava look yummmm as do the spices ...
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your photos. The spices look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pictoral tour - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the tour ofyour trip. Know you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing looking place. My "bucket list" keeps getting longer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your photos! It looks like you had a great time. Was there Turkish embroidery in the shop? I love the motifs and bright colors they use. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos Gillie. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm guessing the WT took you with him? What fun the two of you must have got up to. Gillie, your pictures are amazing, what an eye you have! These look like they are right out of the pages of National Geographic!! My DH has seen enough of the world, so I doubt I will ever get anywhere as exotic as this, but I can always live vicariously through you! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks wonderful!
    Especially the Baklava - i could do some damage to that display, lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you liked Istanbul .I have been twice and still have not seen every thing I want to.So many museums and what wonderful food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics there. I've always wanted to see the Bosporous Straight. It's between Turkey and Istanbul, isn't it? It featured prominently in a book I read. (The premise was that a submarine snuck out of the Black Sea through the Bosporous. It made it sound like a really cool place.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous, the dragon boat looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gillie, you lucky devil! My husband went to Istanbul once when we lived in Belgium...We still had little people back then so I didn't get to go. Now I wish I'd had a tantrum and kicked and scratched for the opportunity. Likewise Monet's Garden outside of Paris. Sigh. But one day, before I die. Those gardens and the Blue Mosque. When I was young travel was the thing I wanted to do. And I did. And ground to a halt in the arse end of nowhere........But this too shall one day pass!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the trip, I love the photo of the spice bazaar - such deep earthy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I doubt I'll ever get to Istanbul so I loved "visiting" it through your photos--what wonderful colors and smells you must have experienced :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photos Gillie .... you are soooo lucky to be able to travel like this :)

    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coming to your blog! You go to the neatest places! Your pictures are lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi...it's me again...I wanted to post on your list of projects for next year, you've got some lovely choices there! I couldn't find a way to post there, co am posting here. I'll cheer you on, Gillie! I'm thinking of wimping out on the challenge this time, Now that I'm back to work I don't have any time to stitch...or I'll give it a go but I know I'll fail...still revamping my list! Good luck next year! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! What a trip that must have been :o) Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never worry about not having stitchy pics up - i love seeing all your travels, Istanbul looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic pictures! Those spices look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you had a great trip Gillie. Lucky girl. Can't wait to see what you've been stitching on.

    Cindy in MA

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!