Wednesday, October 31, 2012

An exchange, a move, a hotel and a hurricane!

Well, I am writing this on All Hallows' Eve and a damp and dreary one it is too in Michigan!  However, we are fortunate here since most of the east coast is recovering from the great devastation of Hurricane Sandy combined with a wintry nor'easter, a lethal combination.  Although the coast received most of the damage the effects of Sandy were felt into Pennsylvania and even Lake Michigan where record wave heights of 20 feet or more were reached, a good few hundred miles from the coast!

Although we were fortunate not to be in the path of the storm, all the wordly goods (well, apart from a few stitching supplies and my Lowery) of the WT and the long suffering Mrs WT were!  The container had been offloaded in New York about 24 hours before Mayor Bloomberg declared a state of emergency!  Lives are far more important, and all will be well.

We've been in the US for three weeks now and hotel life is beginning to pall ever so slightly.  I could get used to having my bed made every day and clean towels as if by magic but really, two electric burners and no oven?  We managed to set the smoke alarm off on the second night cooking pork chops so fish and soup are now mostly on the menu, having bought a frying pan and a slow cooker!  My big soup pot came over in the air shipment so tonight it is lentil and sweet potato!

I had such grand ideas for stitching every day but somehow the day vanishes and not much is accomplished.  Of course, signing up for an Autumn exchange was not the smartest idea I have ever had and many thanks to my good friend, Liz, over in Oz who was VERY patient!  Her parcel arrived about a week after we did and oh my goodness, just look at this! 

Friendly Stitchers' Autumn Exchange
A Needlebook from Liz in Oz
"A Fallen Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"
and dedicated to the Enabling Queen of Friendly Stitchers
whoever CAN she mean?



You can see how small and perfect it is - that is a quarter on one side and two-pence piece on the other!  Thank you, dear Liz!  Apologies though for the "studio" where this was shot - dreadful and even worse, can't remember where it was!  My parcel to Liz finally went off, what a relief!

Another relief was finally settling down to stitch on this gorgeous piece, no, not mine, sadly but the Round Robin piece chosen by Judy in Minnesota.  I debated whether to say the dog had eaten it...... it got left behind in Cheshire...... removed as dangerous by the TSA, as I really, really wanted to keep it but reluctantly decided that it had to go.....onto Oregon and Lynda! I stitched the two urns above and to the right of P and K - which happen to be the WT's initials so had to stitch them too!

The Language of Flowers
Rosewood Manor
Friendly Stitchers' Round Robin Exchange
The move went well and at the speed of light in the end.  We had known since the spring that moving back was going to happen but in usual corporate style no date was given which made for a rather unsettled summer!  Long story short, since the WT had a business trip over to Michigan in August I accompanied him and we went house hunting, found one and made an offer, all without knowing for sure that the move was happening!  All was slightly tense until a week before the WT was scheduled to leave for a symposium in Vancouver - the offer arrived!  An estimate was made for the packing up and shipping of the aforementioned wordly goods, I cheerily waved goodbye to the breadwinner and then had a lovely weekend with Mouse who came to kit up lots of stitching for me!  The movers moved in for four days, lol, on the Monday, the container was sealed on the Thursday and went off up the lane and I flew out on the Saturday......quite a fortnight!

Ian finishing up in my stitching room!
 
We're back in the same area of Michigan but in a different small town, which boasts a coffee shop and a yarn shop, next door to each other!  Not only that but I've joined the ladies there on a Friday to knit and knatter so the withdrawal symptoms from the Friday group in Cheshire aren't too violent!
I've also slipped back into Wednesday nights at Stitching Bits and Bobs and also rejoined EGA, so although one of us didn't want to come back, lol, life isn't so bad!

Looking towards the lake from the garden

The view from the kitchen
The house is smaller than the barn but the view is gorgeous, overlooking the lake!  Upstairs is a loft/gallery which also looks out to the lake and will be a perfect place for the Lowery, some stitching and me!  Now I really am a British lady by the lake!

Well dears, I hope I find you cheerful, smiling and stitching?  Thank you for reading and thank you even more for leaving me a comment!  You know how I love them!

Love from,

30 comments:

  1. Wow, Ms. Gillie, aka Chief Enabler, what a time you've had! A lovely view, with lots of light. Just perfect for stitching. ;) Very sweet needlebook, you lucky thing. Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view from your new home is idyllic

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh that is simply gorgeous :) and just sooooo perfect for you .... hope everything is safe and sound for you ,,,and can't wait to see that view for real ... will take me a wee bit longer to get over this time though ..lol ... glad you have found a new place to knit etc :) love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful view, glad you're settled ok x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The house looks perfect for stitching so I hope all your worldly goods arrive and you can move in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went really green with envy when I saw the view from your kitchen - it's beautiful! Glad that you're settling back in okay. Here's hoping that all your worldly goods arrive safely.

    The needlebook and the Round Robin are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful needlebook, so tiny but beautifully stitched. What a wonderful view you'll have to stitch near. Hope all your worldly goods have survived Sandy and get to you soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the needlebook, it is so neat. Love your ne view and hope you get settled soon. Hopefully, your processions are high and dry in New York and will soon be on their wayto you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear your move went well and I pray that your belongings and you are reunited quickly, Gillie! What an amazing view you have--just the perfect place to sit and stitch with the lake in sight... Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I sure do hope your possessions and you are reunited. And SOON! Take care! I am on the other side of Lake Michigan, in southeast Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a lovely Needlebook!! I do love the view from your new digs! Hopefully your worldly possessions will make it there without damage, that was always my fear when moving overseas. Twas great to her your voice the night of the hurricane, and oddly enough we lost power shortly after your call! I did horde the batteries (I bought a second pack of them and hid them just for my lamp...shhh don't tell the boys!) I hope you are settled in soon! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear the move went well. The view is wonderful, I am hoping your "stuff" arrives soon and all correct. Waiting for further updates, such a cute needlebook.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back to the USA! I hope your worldly possessions reunite with you soon, so you can furnish your lovely home and enjoy the view while stitching and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your move back to Michigan. Amazing how Sandy affected us too here in the state!! Your new view from your house looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your view looks lovely! Hoping you and your possessions meet up soon.

    We're on the other side of Lake Huron. Got very windy here, but amazingly we didn't lose power--although all around us did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your move back to Michigan and your house seems so lovely with great views. Love the samml needlebook and the RR. Glad that you are fine aftre Sandy.
    Lorraine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that your move has gone well so far. The house looks wonderful - so nice to wake up and see the water. My folks live up around Tawas Bay and they could hear the lake crashing and roaring from their home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The needle book and Round Robin are both SO pretty! Have you gotten any news on your container? I do hope that it is safe!! Your new home looks just lovely. What a gorgeous view you have! You'll have to show it to us when your stitching corner is all set up. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a view from your window, so beautiful.
    Great exchange gift and I love the RR you've been working on.
    Lovely to hear from you Gillie. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that view is so lovely. I'm glad you're settling in, though you're very tolerant, having your life disrupted. Still, it all sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seems so strange that you're so far away now! I tend to get a different "feel" for the UK bloggers I follow. But you're still blogging, which is good. I'll just have to read you with an American accent now or maybe a hyper-British one because that's how you sound to your neighbours now.

    I love the double height window, I really want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad all went well and I hope your goods have arrived safely. The view you have is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You live in such a beautiful place! Gorgeous house and views. Lovely gift you got as well. Your sampler is looking fab too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just love the Language of Flowers!!

    Great to hear you are settling in, the view is divine!! Make sure you post pics when the lake freezes over!!

    Have your goods turned up yet??

    What bad luck to have that awful hurrucane, we were all thinkingof you here in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful view from your new home :)

    The little needlebook is soooo cute, Gillie. And the RR is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Gillian. Just stopped by to say "hi" and I see you've moved to the States. Lovely stitching on the round robin sampler and beautiful view in your new house. Wishing you a happy holiday season!
    best from Tunisia, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for popping over and leaving a comment on my blog.

    I love the view from your new house. What a perfect setting for a spot of needlecraft.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Gillie - where are you located now? I seem to recall that you were near me last time you were in Michigan... The view you have is beautiful and I hope that your belongings have finally caught up with you! Hugs, Pat in West Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Gillie - what a fabulous view! Where in Michigan are you this time? I seem to remember that last time you were somewhat near to me... I do hope your belongings have caught up with you by now! Happy New Year! Pat in West Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woooow, what a view!
    Greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!