Monday, December 31, 2012

Travelling, a birthday and French seams!

Goodness, time does fly when you are surrounded by boxes and paper and bits of furniture that you have no idea where it's going to end up!  We've been in the house for two weeks, um, six weeks actually, Thanksgiving and Christmas has come and gone, east to Pittsburgh to stay with the First Treasure and be so welcomed by her partner, E's family at their celebration then west to Wyoming for a family Christmas, all of us together for the first time in three years.  Thank you, everyone!

On the day of the move, you'll never guess, the container showed up and after lunch so did the WT!  Didn't get a note from his boss, didn't hightail it to the nearest airport, he was there and wonderful it was to have him around even thought there were a couple of spirited exchanges regarding placement of said furniture!

While we were still hotel residents I managed to nip over to Wyoming for a cuddle with two small chaps, lots of stories and hugs and most special of all, a third birthday party!
The birthday had a British theme!

Three candles to blow out!
Very little stitching has been done over the last two months and I had such plans for the hotel stay but ended up being extraordinarily late with an ornament exchange that went over to Mary in France - I was so relieved to have it on its way, yup, forgot to take a picture.  I was not quite so late with a winter exchange piece to Ursh but have a feeling the camera wasn't around then either!  I received a gorgeous ornament from Clare in the ornament exchange - a JBW one, very appropriate as the designer lives about ten miles from me!  I received a lovely bag stitched in white on navy from Dusty in the winter exchange which will hold a stitching project nicely!  Thank you, ladies!

Star by JBW Designs
stitched by Clare
Needlecraft Haven Exchange
 
A beautiful bag from Dusty
Needlecraft Haven Winter Exchange
I think I mentioned in the last post what a blessing a shop in our village has become.  Tanya is the owner and together with Melinda has got me sewing as well as knitting and I now know how to do French seams!  Pretty impressive, I know!  I made pillowcases for the boys and bags for the girls.  Next year (well, this week actually!) I intend to master zips!

Pillowcases with French seams!
Quilted Bags for my girls!
My stitching plans for the coming year are somewhat um, fluid, shall we say?  I will not be joining the lovely Crazy girls this year, I gave it my best shot for two years and failed miserably both times!  I was given a notebook and pen for Christmas so the notebook has been designated my project one.  I am not making a list for the year, far too daunting, but will take it month by month and hope to include sewing,stitching and kitting in the finished projects.  Well, a lady can dream!  I did join Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year, along with lots of other people and intend to start the small one tomorrow.

Just over three hours here in the Midwest and 2012 will be gone.  It has been an eventful year, with (of course) another move, this time back across the ocean and the arrival of a third gorgeous grandson.

Here's to 2013, may it bring peace and happiness and may we all take time for that extra word of kindness, smile or helping hand and of course, lots of stitching and knitting!

PS - Pat in West Michigan, please drop me an email, address in my profile, would love to hear from you!

16 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Gillie!! So glad your belongings made it through the hurricane and that you are beginning to settle in. I hope 2013 is a little more settled for you! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a wonderful 2013 Gillie.

    French seams always seem complicated until you actually try them. I too need to learn to put in a zip but have never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happpyyyy New Year :) well done on your pillow cases and bags .... looking forward to seeing what else you make too ... glad things are safe and sound in your new home too and that you were able to spend time again with your treasures .... ((HUGS)) love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you Gillie and I'm glad that you are settled into your new home now.
    Have a Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad things are going well. Your container made it!! Hooray! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you're getting settled in your new home. Very nice sewing projects. I never did master French seams - the process was okay the execution not so much. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Gillie! So glad that you are settling in!! Your Christmas gifts and sewing (Good for You!!!!) were all wonderful. Can't wait to see all that you'll complete this year!!! : )

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've settled in quite nicely, Gillie--and what fun to be learning new sewing techniques! You'll have to teach me next time you swing by the 'Burgh!! I wish you and your family a most wonderful New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such good news you are in your new home. Your sewing is fantastic, those bags for the girls are beautiful, so useful. Wonderful exchanges you have received.
    Wishing you lots of fun times in 2013. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are settling in well Gillie, glad the container & the WT arrived in sync!
    Lovely pictures of your finishes and great exchange pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gillie that view is so wonderful I hope you get to enjoy it whilst stitching this year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're off to a good start to 2013! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday, welcome back, and Happy New Year! So nice to have a stitching shop nearby for learning new tricks. The bags look great! The home shots look like it's a nice place, so you'll have to share the stitching room when the Lowery is in place. Be well, stay safe, and Happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to read another post from you. Meanwhile life seems to have become a bit more quiet for you and you have settled in. Isn't it great to have a LNS nearby? That would be one of my wishes if I had three wishes free, lol.
    I also joined Nicola's SAL and I think we'll have a lot of fun this year.
    Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hats off to you Gillie for the grace and aplomb with which you handle all those moves! Hope you settle in quickly and have a great year!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!