Friday, December 12, 2014

Advent Blog Hop

Hello, and many thanks to Jo for hosting this Hop, my second year taking part.  The picture above was taken in dubious light an hour before I left for DC to help The Girl move apartments.  Do we call her the Baltimore Babe now?  Hmm, better run it by her first!

We will be in Wyoming again this year with the Cowboys, large and small and the Cowgirl is walking.....can't wait!

Best ever present......
Hmm, that's hard but one I remember was given to me many moons ago, I was ten and living in Hohne, Germany, an Army brat, deep snow on the ground and I got......roller skates!  Not the fancy inline skates you get now but the ones where you turned a key and the clampy things on the side tightened and held on, hopefully, to your shoes.  Elsa, who worked for my mum, a bit on the dour side, it has to be said, sighed and said.....you won't  be using those until March....she was right but sledging was a great substitute!
When the snow finally melted a whole group of us would skate for hours, don't remember the learning process.....probably fell a lot.....got up, carried on, stiff upper lip, don't you know.....
The very best place  to skate was the Tank Road, better than tarmac, reinforced concrete and we got yelled at many a time to get out of the d*** road as those behemoths went by......nobody ever seemed to think it would probably have been safer to ban us from there.....!

One last memory.....that Christmas, my mum was pregnant with my sister who would be born in March but I remember her putting on the skates and doing a great glide through our long sitting dining area with Elsa.....yup, shaking her head and muttering!

Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone, and here's to 2015 and the Gifted Gorgeousness extravaganza!

22 comments:

  1. love the photos ... I recognise one of those wee pillows :) I used to have some Jacobs skates and spent years on them ... mine grew with your feet ....hope you have a fabulous christmas and a very stitchy new year :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part again this year. I love your festive shelf!
    I also had those skates, they adjusted to fit our feet and sort of fitted around your shoes. I can just imagine Elsa's disapproval too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pillows they are adorable :)
    Oooh yes I totally can relate to your story... See I am a pads brat too! Yes I agree about getting 'odd' presents must of been the thing to do! And oh I loved the snow in Germany ... Yes I grew up in Germany as my dad was in the army... Lived all over Germany.. Spent 27 years of my life there.. Yes I married an army man and went back out there! Oh the memories!! Thank you :)
    You have a wonderful smiley Christmas and a super new year :)
    Smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some of those skates then as I got older I also had some skating boots and as belonged to the roller skating club in town.... ahhh those were the days, carefree and young!!

    Baltimore reminds me of the movie Hairspray, doesn't she come from there??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I had those exact skates, Gillie!! Loved your story and I wish you a very Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your story Gillie. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Gillie

    It's nice to visit your blog for the Advent blog hop.

    Lovely Christmassy stitching in your photo and a lovely story about your skates!

    Wishing you a peaceful weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great story, gave me some chuckles! Lovely stitching ")

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stitching. Beautiful biscornu.
    I had those skates, too! Happy memories.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun post, great story, merry christmas to your family, joyeux Noël ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your work. And yes, I remember those roller skates. Multiple bruises, multiple scab, and a heap of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol Gillie....we had a pair of those skates which we had to share :) Definitely learned with lots of falling and bruised knees! In fact that's how I learned to cycle too:) Ah the memories :)
    Lovely little festive shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful finishes on the pictures :)
    Wishing you a lovely festive holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally got a chance to hop by and see your post. Love your Christmas shelf. Great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely display of ornaments. I loved the story of the skates

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Christmas memory, Gillie. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always wanted those skates but my mum thought I was to accident prone so I wasn't allowed skates or a bicycle still can't ride a bike or skate
    Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you have displayed your ornaments and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wishing you a merry Christmas x hope it it is full of happy memories x

    ReplyDelete
  21. She's from Bawler, Hon! Maybe DJ and I will see more of you since she's that much closer to us?

    Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, I also had this kind of roller skates when I was a child, and we had a special place for roller sketing near our house. It was a very popular sport when I was young.

    I hope you were having a wonderful Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!